Monday 24 August 2015

Bittersweet

Was it going to be 3rd time lucky, or strike 3, you're out? Running is such a mental game. Many of my non-running friends think I'm mental! Actually that doesn't back up my comment. Confidence of your skills and abilities is maybe what I was talking about.

First, some history

12 months ago, cold, miserable, wrapped up in a St. Johns Ambulance blanket, I watched my friends finish their respective events at the Salomon Trail Race Series (STRS), Race 3 at Olinda. It was a dismal day; weather was foul, low cloud scudding across the start/finish area in the abandoned Olinda Golf Course. A rolled ankle (severe) at the 2k mark of the race was the reason I was watching everyone else finish, not struggling up to the finish myself, on what was a pretty brutal course. My mood was ranging somewhere between raw anger, and sad resignation, that;
  1. My day was in tatters, and
  2. My marathon plans for Melbourne, 8 weeks out, were in serious jeopardy.
Spending the next 6 months enduring rehab, struggling mentally with the thought that running may be restricted, if not at all, had me at times cursing this race, and then wishing that I could get the chance to redeem myself. Finally running and racing by March this year, I looked forward to being able to have another crack.
When race entries opened, I didn't jump in straight away. In fact I held right back, almost thinking that I should just let it be, move on and pick another race. But eventually it was just too good to resist, I signed up and focused on running a good race.

Lead in

Raced in the You Yangs (30k trail) and a few easy parkruns, but mainly it was consistent training. Melbourne Marathon being the A-list race. Ran a few times in the Dandenongs, and at least on one occasion, I covered most of the tracks that we would encounter in the major climb on the race. I felt I had prepared well, but as usual, pre-race doubts crept in. Was I over-training, was I in the same or better shape than last year, would I misjudge the climbs and bomb out on the 2nd half of the course. Sometimes these voices can be counter-productive, sometimes you can use them to focus on the job ahead of you. I chose the latter....

Race Day

Nicky and Jordan were also running in the short course, so it was an early start from South Gippsland for all of us. Drive up was uneventful, and we arrived at Silvan with plenty of time to spare (or so I thought...). Race central was already buzzing, guy on the PA giving lots of information, people milling around and starting to get ready. Met up with a few DTR's, Marc, David, Richard, Chris Burton, and Chris Piplios, and plenty of PTR's, LTR's and just generally all the trail runners I knew of in Victoria.
DTR personnel: Chris, Burton, Marc, Chris Piplios, David, and myself, 10 minutes before race time.
(Photo credit: Peter Mitchell)
Whilst the organisation of this event looked good, it wasn't until we went to put our bags in the bag drop, did we realise that was maybe not quite the case. A long line, that wasn't moving very fast, basically short staffed, and struggling. Finally got the bag checked in, and we started a bit of a warm-up. It was cold, so, having peeled off warm clothes and left in bag, there was nothing left to do but keep moving around. If nothing else, kept the nerves at bay! And that was a first for me, normally nerves are left for road races. Always calm before trail events, but this race had an added incentive for me.
Start of Race 3, long course.
(Photo credit: Peter Mitchell)

Before too long we were called up, the medium course (15k) runners going off 5 minutes before us. Usually I would have started my old GPS watch, and stood there frantically wishing it would pick up satellites. New Suunto Ambit 3, BOOM, 10 seconds to get both HR monitor, and satellites! Finally, I would be able to start a race without watch issues!
Start of Race 3, long course. Chris Burton with thumbs up
(Photo credit: Peter Mitchell)

So....., when I stuffed up starting my watch, I was to think back to that previous thought....
Started the watch, then about 100 metres up the road suddenly thought it wasn't going.
Running beside Marc Simpkins I said, ":How good is your eyesight?".
"Not bad" was the reply.
"Is my watch running?"
Marc looks at the watch face that I am holding up to his face, "F____ed if I know mate"
Ran another 50 or so metres, then decided that it was stopped. So, pressed the start button again. Annnddd, successfully stopped the watch..... Bloody dill. It wasn't until I had run another 200 metres did I decide that I should have another crack at getting it going. Hit start, hoped like hell that it was going, and decided to run on, not bothering whether it was going or not.

By now we are running through lots of single trail, doubling back towards the start/finish area, before peeling off, and coming out on Pipeline Track, effectively a narrow gravel road. By now the crowd of runners has thinned out. I spied a couple of DTR shirts up ahead, Richard and David, and made a mental note that I might be travelling a bit fast. Didn't feel it, was comfortable along here, pulling about 155 bpm, it wasn't flat out, but it wasn't idle either!
Jenny Mitchell, showing us all how to do it,
on the ludicrously named, "Suunto Sprint"!
(Photo credit: Peter Mitchell)

Just when we were settling into a nice fluid pace along Pipeline, we turned off onto the "Suunto Sprint" (My quotes...). This should be renamed the "Overwhelmingly Ironically Named Suunto Sprint". Terms like sprint, and run, conjure up images of well... running.... both feet off the ground at some part of the stride. Something like that, anyway. The "Sprint" was in fact a 300 metre slog up a muddy track with an elevation grade of about 20%! Sprint, it was not....
Passed David, who was struggling up here, and was catching Richard before we crested the hill and started running again. Pass a photographer, then a left onto Track 17, and a longish undulating section (that included Georges Track), for about 3k's before we started the climb up to Olinda.

This is where the fun started! Met the last 15k runner making her way steadily up the single track. My first thought; gunna be interesting with all the long course runners still to come! This section is not terribly steep, but it just goes, on and on and on... Lovely sweet single trail, winding it's way through tree ferns, the track was muddy and slippery in places, and presented some difficulties to those running in light lugged shoes, or road shoes. I was feeling strong here, and noticed that I was steadily picking up runners and passing them. Original plan was to run somewhere between a half and two thirds of the climb to the top at Olinda. As it was, I probably ran three quarters of it, doing a fast hike the rest of the time. Passed Marc Simpkins along here. Probably the only time I'm ever going to do this in a race, Marc on a comeback, of sorts!
3D plot of the course (complete with GPS stuff up, far right brown section)
(Image courtesy of www.veloviewer.com)
The climb to Olinda was broken into two parts, the middle section had a short downhill, slippery, muddy and THE section where I rolled my ankle last year. Yup, and just before I hit that fatal spot, Pitty McAdams from PTR (Peninsula Trail Runners) passed me. Pitty being one of the first persons to stop and give assistance last year, the irony of that coincidence was not lost on me!
As I turned on to Ginkgo Track, the sound of somebody singing Bubbles (West Ham United theme song) echoed through the crisp morning air! Johnny Horricks, another PTR runner (and the other person to stop with me last year) has spotted me and burst into song;
"I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high,
Nearly reach the sky...."
Caught up with me, and we ran/walked the rest of the steep climb to the R J Harmer Arboretum (highest point of the climb). On the final climb, I finally caught and passed Richard Matison, surprising the hell out of him as I jumped onto his shoulder, then went smoothly past. He would catch me on the descent, being better at the downhill then me. Finally, having reached the summit, I ran conservatively for a period to get the HR down before we started the exhilarating run back down the mountain.
Smiling, must have been a good race!

By now we are passing loads of 15k runners. And I would like to take the time to thank all of them, not one issue with us faster long course runners getting past. Many stood to one side on the single track (Poplar, and Manna Gum), and most were very happy to give back the good wishes that I would give them as I went past. A race run in a very fine spirit by all, from my point of view. 

Some of the runners I had passed going uphill, now came back past me as my inadequate descending skills were laid to bare. Having said that, barrelling down Manna Gum chasing Johnny Horricks was an absolute highlight of the day. Not quite single track, but a very pretty section with good ground underneath your feet, and a steadily increasing decline. The idea here was to throw caution to the wind and let gravity take over. At the bottom, 2 strategically place fallen trees provided us with hurdling practice, yeah, just what we needed....
Jordan ran the whole way with hoodie,
and water bottle!
Back out onto Prices Road, and eventually to Georges Road, mainly wide gravel roads that had a few hills to test the cardiovascular capacity. Hit the aid station at the 16k mark in fairly good shape. Stopped, grabbed a drink of SOS (sponsors sports drink, not too bad), then put my head down for the final 5k (expected, but not quite as measured) distance to the finish line. Immediately spotted somebody running back up the road I'm running down, Peter Mitchell, DTR head honcho running back home after his wife run the short course event. A quick high 5 from Peter, and I continue on my way. 

I have noticed that the same group of runners are now constantly around me. Backwards and forwards we pass, getting passed as if connected by a horizontal bungee. I would get them on the ups, they would get me on the downs. Along here I was following another runner, similar height, slightly stronger build, that I would later find out was Marcus Pain, yet another DTR alumini. Off the bottom part of a run called The Undulator (no, not ironic...), we continued down to come back out onto the Silvan Road. 18 and a half k mark. I expected that we would have somewhere between one and a half, and two and a half k's to go. (I had seen distances listed as 20, and 21k for this race. Thought if mentally I prepared for 21, I would be okay)


Nicky, looking strong, despite a rolled ankle!
Silvan Road was getting busy. Lot's of 15k runners still heading for home, and a bit of vehicular traffic making it's way along the road. Suddenly I could hear the PA system from the finish line, thinking that the sound was travelling a long way on the forest. Pushing along down a gentle incline, my legs now starting to get the first indications of fatigue. Not sore, just feeling the energy drain somewhat. Photographer sitting on a stool in the middle of the road takes heaps of pictures as I run past, I was picking up the pace as another runner came up on my shoulder. We are directed off the road onto a single track. 
The PA quite loud now. Thinking that this is a deviation to make up the still required 1.5k's, I was very surprised when, after a short section, we exited onto an area just before the entrance back to the finish chute. Head down, focused, I push hard for home. Heard my name shouted out (cheers peeps), I crossed the line, not even bothering to look at the stop clock. Stopped the watched (yep, it had been going, and yes, I did stop it properly). Time said 1:43, thought that was a bit light on, but was very happy all the same.

Looked around the finish area, but couldn't see Nicky at all. Paused to catch breath, and congratulate fellow runners. Friend Chrissy found me, a huge grin on her face, high 10 and hug from her. She had run the short course as a comeback race, and was very pleased with her efforts. Still couldn't see Nicky. Finally Jordan catches up with me, Nicky had rolled her ankle 3k's in, completed the race, but was in a bit of pain and discomfort. Bugger, the SRTS race 3 curse rolls on! Found her at the coffee cart, waiting patiently for her flat white. She was down, but pragmatic enough to realise that trails have a way of doing this. So, as much as I was happy with my day, sad to see Nicky having to hobble around for a few days afterwards. Best news is, that it was nowhere near as bad as mine was.

Caught up with a few people, but left fairly rapidly, as I wanted to get Nicky home asap. Found out later, I was 2nd in my age group, and had missed out on a prize. Never mind, it was the time and race completion I was more happy with. Age group placings, whilst brilliant, are not what I aim for.
Post Script: Rapid Ascents contacted me, I will pick up prize at Anglesea, after Race #4

The Wash Up.

12 months ago, cold, miserable, and waiting patiently for my friends to finish their respective races, I watched as 2 friends finished the race, embraced, and celebrated a great result. It was an image that was burned into my memory as I went through the endless cycle of rehab. I used it as an incentive to get back, to experience that thrill of competition, and the sharing with friends. I have never told either person of their part in this story, I may never will. I have confided to only one person about what I saw, and how it made me feel. It was a very raw emotion at the time, and one that left a lasting impression.
Funnily enough, I didn't want to recreate that image (it was an impromptu one at that, hard to replicate without looking staged), and although it didn't happen, I didn't care. I had run a great race (my impression only), and survived! That was all that mattered in the aftermath.

Where to From Here

In the middle of a high training load for Melbourne Marathon. Managing the fatigue, and injury risk is now high on the agenda.Training has been going well, hitting targets, recovering well etc. But the first signs of subtle fatigue with training load have surfaced in the last week.
Upcoming races are;
30th August, Wonderland 36k trail,
19th & 20th September, Relay leg 28k of Surf Coast Century, and Race 4 STRS at Anglesea,
18th October, Melbourne Marathon.
Stop Press; potentially pacing 1:45 half at Mornington on 6th September. Awaiting confirmation for race organisers.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

These things take time

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.” Albert Einstein I have added this quote as this is a retur...